A big part of being human is feeling sympathy, / but how early on in our lives do we learn this? / Scientists find that babies respond to other people / by crying when other babies cry. / However, babies can’t distinguish between themselves and others / until they’re eighteen to twenty months old. / Toddlers start to show concern for others around this time. / Kids also begin to do things like comforting other people. / And by the time they’re three, / most children will try to protect a victim in a fight.
PartⅡ LISTENING COMPREHENSION
SECTION A TALK
1. aphysical classroom
2. acoherent concept
4. (more) meaningful practice
6. collaborative learning
7. questionand answer
8. fundamental human right
SECTION B CONVERSATIONS
1. What’s wrong with the man’s computer?
答案：A. It has wiped the data from the flash drive.
2. How will the man be compensated if the computer can’t be fixed?
答案：C. Get a new computer.
3. How did the man feel about the woman’s offer of compensation?
4. When will the service engineer come to fix the computer?
答案：B. After 8:30 tomorrow morning.
5. What is the man’s phone number?
6. What should we do if our neighbors didn’t reach out?
答案：roduce ourselves first.
7. Which is the best way to handle a noisy neighbor?
答案：C.Give him a reason to stop.
8. What should we do if we have a nosy neighbor?
答案：D.Don’t answer their questions.
9. How long do we expect our neighbors tostay?
答案：B. Five to ten minutes.
10. Where can we get more information on this topic?
答案：D. CBS news website.
Part III LANGUAGE USAGE
12.A. on which
13.C. women drivers
14.B. present event for tentativeness
15.D. make a suggestion
17.D. would later make
18.C. to have been created
19.A. would have been...had been
Part IV CLOZE
Part V READING COMPREHENSION
SECTION A MULTIPLE CHOICEQUESTIONS
41. In Para. 4, the phrase “hit the jackpot” means according to the context.
答案：C. broke one of the objects
42. It can be concluded from Paras. 5 and 6 that .
答案：D. people hold entirely different views on the issue
43. How did the author feel about the treasure from the Atocha (Para. 7)?
答案：A. She was glad that people can have a chance to see the treasure.
44.It can be learned from the beginning that Miriam’s attitude towards love between her and Paul is .
45.The narration in Para.3 tells us that Miriam had all the following feelings EXCEPT .
46.Which of the following statements is CORRECT about the family’s response to Paul’s mockery?
答案：B. Every member except Miriam was amused.
47. Why does the author give two examples in Para.2?
答案：A. To show that literacy is interpreted in different ways.
48. According to the author, the following are some of the defining features of literacy EXCEPT .
49.Which of the following statements about reading and writing is CORRECT?
答案：C. Reading often requires more immediate interaction than writing.
50. What do the last two paragraphs mainly focus on(Paras. 10 and 11)?
答案：B. Effects ofilliteracy and associated problems.
SECTION B SHORT ANSWERQUESTIONS